SAILS conference: An inclusive experience for disabled students in higher education?
May 14 @ 9:15 am - 3:30 pm
An inclusive experience for disabled students in higher education?
Sharing good practice in inclusive teaching, learning, assessment, and academic and pastoral support, for students with disabilities
Swansea University, Bay Campus
Tuesday 14th May 2019
We welcome colleagues from other universities and higher education providers to share their approaches to effective and/or innovative inclusive teaching, learning, assessment, and academic and pastoral support, for students with disabilities.
We are accepting proposals for the following:
- Workshop: A one hour experience of up to 30 minutes of presentation on good practice and to include audience participation e.g. hands on activities, Q & A and discussion.
- Lightning talk: A 15 minute experience to include ten minutes of presentation followed by 5 minutes of Q & A.
- A poster: A0 (841 x 1189 mm) or A1 (594 x 841 mm) presented vertically/portrait layout. All posters must link to the conference theme and include the author’s details, institution and references to any published papers. Avoid colour combinations and fonts which are difficult to read and use a large type face. Posters will be displayed during registration and refreshment breaks. Authors are expected to remain with their poster during the lunch break to explain their work and answer any questions.
We are interested both in work which has been evaluated and new approaches which are still being piloted. Please provide evidence where it is available.
The conference will be free of charge to workshop presenters (maximum of three) and lightning talk presenters (maximum of one) but not to those only presenting a poster. Delegates from outside Swansea University will be charged £50 for entry which includes all refreshments. The academic Colleges within Swansea University are providing sponsorship in place of delegate fees for internal staff.
How do I submit a proposal?
- To submit a proposal, complete the online form by midday on Monday 21st January 2019.
- You can submit as many proposals for consideration as you like.
- The conference team will consider all the submissions, and choose which to accept for presentation at the conference. SAILS will give you feedback on your proposal by the end of February 2019.
What happens if my proposal is accepted?
We will tell you by email if you have been successful. You will then need to:
- Register as a delegate. Any co-presenters must register too. Registration will be open in January 2019.
- Submit electronic versions of presentation slides, posters, handouts or other materials to SAILS by 12 noon on Friday 3rd May 2019. You will be reminded about this. The materials you submit will be circulated to all registered delegates after the conference.
- Provide all resources and handouts you need for your session.
- If you are providing a poster, it is your responsibility to print it and bring it along to the conference for display. Display boards and mounting materials will be provided at the conference venue. Bring your poster to the registration desk when you arrive and you will be directed to the display area.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.